Joseph Smith Quotes
- Joseph Smith boasted that he did more than Jesus to keep a church together.
- “God is in the still small voice. In all these affidavits, indictments, it is all of the devil–all corruption. Come on! ye
prosecutors! ye false swearers! All hell, boil over! Ye burning mountains, roll down your lava! for I will come out on the top at last. I
have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of
Adam. A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such
a work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him; but the Latter-day Saints never ran away from me yet . . . ” (History of the
Church, vol. 6, p. 408-409). Click here to see this quote in context.
- Joseph Smith said mothers have babies in eternity, and some are on thrones.
- “A question may be asked, ‘Will mothers have their children in eternity?’ Yes! Yes! Mothers, you shall have your children,” (Journal
of Discourses, vol. 6, p. 10). “Eternity is full of thrones, upon which dwell thousands of children reigning on thrones of glory,
with not one cubit added to their stature,” (Journal of Discourses, vol. 6, p. 10).
- Joseph Smith said that God was not always God.
- “We have imagined and supposed that God was God from all eternity. I will refute that idea, and take away the veil, so that you may
see. These are incomprehensible ideas to some, but they are simple. It is the first principle of the Gospel to know for a certainty the
Character of God, and to know that we may converse with him as one man converses with another, and that he was once a man like us; yea,
that God the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth, the same as Jesus Christ himself did, and I will show it from the Bible” (Teachings
of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pp.345-346.).
- Joseph Smith said there are many gods.
- “Hence, the doctrine of a plurality of Gods is as prominent in the Bible as any other doctrine. It is all over the face of the Bible
. . . Paul says there are Gods many and Lords many . . . but to us there is but one God–that is pertaining to us; and he is in all and
through all,” (History of the Church, vol. 6, p. 474). “In the beginning, the head of the Gods called a council of the Gods; and
they came together and concocted a plan to create the world and people it,” (Journal of Discourses, vol. 6, p. 5).
- Joseph Smith said the Trinity is three gods.
- “I have always declared God to be a distinct personage, Jesus Christ a separate and distinct personage from God the Father, and the
Holy Ghost was a distinct personage and a Spirit: and these three constitute three distinct personages and three Gods,” (Teachings of
Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 370).
- Joseph Smith said God was once a man.
- “God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted Man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens . . . I say, if you were to see him
today, you would see him like a man in form–like yourselves, in all the person, image, and very form as a man . . . it is necessary that
we should understand the character and being of God, and how he came to be so; for I am going to tell you how God came to be God. We have
imagined and supposed that God was God from all eternity, I will refute that idea, and will take away and do away the veil, so that you
may see . . . and that he was once a man like us; yea, that God himself the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth the same as Jesus Christ
himself did.” (Journal of Discourses, vol. 6, p. 3).
- Joseph Smith said that there are men living on the moon who dress like Quakers and live to be nearly 1000 years old.
- Since he was wrong about the moon, is it safe to trust him regarding the way to Heaven? (The Young Woman’s Journal, vol. 3,
p. 263-264. See reprint in Mormonism–Shadow or Reality? by Jerald and Sandra Tanner, p. 4.)
Return to the
Copyright by Matthew J. Slick, B.A., M. Div., 2022
Please send comments to email@example.com
For a lot more
information on Mormonism please go to carm.org/mormonism